Welcome to Parishville. It was
once inhabited by the Mohawk Indian Tribe. New York State made a treaty
with the Mohawk Indians on March 29, 1791, in which they surrendered
title to their lands. As soon as possible, these lands were to be put up
for sale according to an act of the legislature. The principle purchaser
was Alexander Macomb.
After selling several of the ten towns, Macomb dropped out of
sight, but he turned over or sold the property still in his possession
to William Constable who sold it to de Chaumont on July 24, 1804. He in
turn sold it to David Parish on December 2, 1810, and the town was named
after Mr. Parish. Before a single settler had begun to build a house,
careful plans for the Town and industries had been made. A Mr. Crary had
surveyed the region in 1809 which met with Mr. Parish’s approval.
There is a possibility that the Russell Turnpike had already
been cut and that Hoard’s Road or path was connected with it. In 1810,
Mr. Hoard, with workers recruited from Vermont, enlarged this path into
a road wide enough to permit horses and wagons for hauling building
materials. In the meantime, the Town of Parishville had been surveyed
and cut into lots.
The first settler was Luke Brown. He and several others came
from Springfield, Vermont to work on the above mentioned road. Mr.
Parish let him choose land for a farm. In March, 1811, he brought his
family to the farm (which is now owned by Gary and Jane Snell) located
now on Route 72. They immediately tapped the nearest maple trees to
begin sugaring since white sugar was very expensive.
The following March 30, 1812, the first white child was born and
christened Luke Parish Brown. Mr. Parish gave the child 50 acres of land
for his name. The Township of Parishville was formed March 18, 1814.
Parishville once had 14 mills located by the Gorge in the
hamlet of Parishville and several others outside but still in the
township. The Industrial era lasted only about 35 years.
We are very proud of our Parishville Hopkinton Central School and the
Town Hall which is in very good condition and houses the Town offices.
We also have a newly constructed Parishville Highway Department building
on Rutman Road and the Kunoco Food Mart with gas pumps is located in the
Hamlet of Parishville. There are two fine restaurants in Parishville;
The Silver Café and The Timber Tavern. There are sand and gravel
businesses and logging is still going on in the South Woods, Town of
There are two churches; the United Methodist and The Baptist.
Parishville has an outstanding park on the edge of the Hamlet of
Parishville, on the St. Regis River.
The only organizations left are the Amber Masonic Lodge, The
Parishville Historical Association and the AMVETS Post 265 of
Parishville. The town has a very active fire department, Ladies
Auxiliary, Emergency Squad and Dive Team. The Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts
are still active too.
The library is still open to the public on Monday evenings
and let’s not forget the Parishville Museum, where visitors are always
The Parishville Historical Association
Invites you to visit the
at 1785 East Main Street
Hours: July and August- Tuesday and Thursdays 1 pm – 3 pm
Other hours by appointment